We offer affordable, independent consulting services helping you to navigate renewable, zero emission hydrogen technology.
PRODUCTION: Renewable Energy Systems (Solar, Wind, Hydroelectric, Geothermal) | Hydrogen Electrolyzers
STORAGE AND TRANSPORT: Hydrogen Storage | Hydrogen Transport | Refueling Solutions | Safety Education
APPLICATIONS: Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEVs) | Fuel Cells for Winter Heat and Power | Micro-grid Stabilization | Long Term & Seasonal Energy Storage
What is Renewable Hydrogen?
- Hydrogen is the simplest element. It produces nothing but pure water vapor when burned, unlike carbon-containing fuels. It is therefore a completely zero emission fuel (if it is made renewably).
- Hydrogen is made by two primary methods: steam reforming of (usually fracked) methane gas, or by renewable water electrolysis (see diagram below). Currently, about 95% of global hydrogen is made from fossil fuels with the remaining 5% made by water electrolysis.
- Although hydrogen can be used in an internal combustion engine or for direct heat applications, the most efficient way to convert hydrogen to electrical energy is in a PEM fuel cell. A fuel cell is roughly twice as efficient as an internal combustion engine.
- Fuel cells can be placed in electric vehicles (FCEVs) as a “Range Extender” (battery charger) to provide range capabilities like gasoline vehicles, and allow quick 5 minute refueling times, or they can be large stationary fuel cells designed to deliver combined heat and power (CHP) in winter as a replacement for backup diesel generators.
Other beneficial applications for hydrogen include:
- blending up to 15% by vol. into existing natural gas networks without the need for modification (the exact % depends on the grade and quality of steel used in the pipes)
- direct use in industry e.g. for “green” steel and ammonia production
- hydrogen gas turbines that provide extremely high power (and low weight and volume) compared to fuel cells, but at a lower fuel efficiency
For more information on hydrogen, please see our free Learn articles.
These are concept drawings of renewable hydrogen facilities and infrastructure. These are possible using today’s technology. We can help you with the design and sizing of these and other renewable hydrogen technologies as independent consultants.
We are not licensed engineers for approvals, but most equipment we recommend is CSA approved and does not require engineering approval to install according to manufacturers’ specs.
All drawings are licensed CC-BY-SA.
Our mission is to develop a network of independent producers (who use excess solar, wind, geothermal and/or hydroelectric power to produce hydrogen) and buyers who install hydrogen fuel cells to replace diesel for winter backup power.